Galaxy

22 Aug 2014

I want to be England manager- Rio Ferdinand

When Rio Ferdinand completes his coaching badges, the former England defender has it all mapped out. He wants the biggest job of the lot.
This is his England dream; a vision and a philosophy that he believes will get the best out of the country’s players under his guidance. It feels good to hear someone care so much.
‘Everyone has dreams of playing for England and my dream after football is to manage England,’ he revealed.
‘I don’t expect the chance now, but once I get the badges I am there. If I don’t get a job in management I will wonder why.’ 
Ferdinand started out on the coaching pathway when his career at Manchester United came to a close. It fills him with enthusiasm and now he wants more.
To listen to him talk about the national team, to hear the passion in his voice, leaves you wanting to know more. ‘I will give myself the best opportunity of getting the job by getting all the badges,’ he added.
‘I don’t think people should start shouting the odds about the opportunity to manage clubs until they have their badges. I am not sitting here saying “give me a job” because I don’t have them yet.’
He is on the UEFA B licence course and the next step is the A Licence and then the ProLicence. After that, he cannot be ignored. Ferdinand, who turns 36 in November, has too much to offer after a lifetime in the game. He has experienced almost everything.
He admires the young coaches; the guys who were given a chance in their thirties. Ferdinand believes they have a better connection with the dressing room. 
‘Low, Klinsmann were young geezers when they started out with Germany,’ he added. ‘Look at Van Basten, Mourinho, Guardiola and Luis Enrique — they are not old fellas but they were given a chance. It is different in this country. We are 10 years behind in certain situations. We have to do what’s best for English football.’
Ferdinand has the bug for it. He would be a tracksuit manager, taking England’s players through sessions as they prepare under a player who won 81 caps for his country during a distinguished international career.
He speaks of radical changes needed with the national set-up, adapting the structure to suit an England team that would be encouraged to play Ferdinand’s way. After 50 years of failure, it has to be worth a shot.
‘Maybe I’m not their (the FA’s) type, but I don’t know what their type is,’ added Ferdinand. ‘Maybe it’s an unblemished track record, but everybody deserves a second chance. Glenn Hoddle is a prime example. He’s the best one you had and he is gone, never to be seen again with England. We are on our knees.’

0 Comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...