Galaxy

25 Jul 2014

Making amendment of past mistake: As Frank Lampard promises to visit 9/11 memorial

Frank Lampard has promised to visit the New York memorial dedicated to victims of the September 11 terror atrocity after insisting that he did not mean to insult them during an infamous drinking binge 13 years ago.
The incident has been raked up in the United States after it was confirmed that Lampard will play for New York City FC following his release from Chelsea.
The England midfielder was one of four Chelsea players fined two weeks’ wages in 2001 when they allegedly swore and vomited in front of shocked US tourists at a Heathrow Airport hotel just 24 hours after the terror attack on the Twin Towers.


 
 
Speaking at his unveiling as a New York player on Thursday against the backdrop of downtown Manhattan which was once dominated by the towers, Lampard said: ‘I categorically did not set out to insult anyone or behave badly in front of the Americans and this is an excellent chance to say that. I’m very sensitive to the issue and the tragedy.
‘I was naive and a young boy at the time. I was out on a day I shouldn’t have been — I certainly wouldn’t do it today. I’ve tried in the last 13 years at Chelsea to be not just a good footballer, but a good man off the pitch.’
Asked if he would go the permanent memorial at what was once Ground Zero, Lampard replied: ‘It’s a huge memorial and I will certainly go there to pay my respects.’

0 Comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...