Galaxy

7 Jun 2014

Benzema not fearing Suarez arrival


Karim Benzema has told Marca he does not "feel any particular pressure" over the prospect of Luis Suarez moving to Real Madrid.
Installed as undisputed first-choice central striker following Gonzalo Higuain's departure last summer, Benzema, 26, struck an impressive 17 goals and weighed in with nine assists in his club's La Liga campaign as well as playing a central role en route to the Spanish giants' picking up a 10th European title last season.
Despite Suarez, 27, having said he plans to remain at Liverpool, there is mounting speculation in both Spain and England that Madrid are determined to land the striker, and that would provide Benzema with stiff competition for a place in Carlo Ancelotti's starting XI.
However, despite having seen Suarez score 31 goals in 33 Premier League appearances last term, the France international is unperturbed by the idea his place in the side may soon come under serious threat.
"I sleep well, I get up and I eat well," he told the Spanish newspaper from Les Bleus' pre-World Cup training base at Clairefontaine. "Everyone can come, and all the more to Madrid where all the best come. I work every day to play for Madrid. I don't feel any particular pressure.
"He's a great player who had a great season, but in football, you have to be capable of producing several of them. But he's a great player, and if he comes, he'll help us."
Marca has reported that, after renewing his contract last year, the release clause in Suarez's contract could now be as high as 92 million euros. The newspaper reports that Liverpool would not be willing to negotiate a lower fee.
Benzema, meanwhile, said he hopes to secure a new contract of his own at the Bernabeu, with his current deal set to expire in a year's time.
After initially struggling to show the full extent of his talent when he arrived in Spain from Lyon in 2009, Benzema has finally blossomed into a potent attacking force and is confident he will be able to play a part in the club's future.
"I hope to reach an agreement with Real Madrid," he said. "There's no other club like it. Every year, I feel better. I only think about Madrid. I'm happy there with my family. My parents are always there where I am going, they often come to see me."
He added: "I want to win everything. That's obligatory at Real Madrid. We're working to win another treble, and we want to win six trophies next season: the Club World Cup, the Spanish and European Super Cups, La Liga, the Copa del Rey and the Champions League again. We have to win everything. We can do it, because we're a great team."

0 Comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...