Galaxy

30 Apr 2014

Romelu Lukaku accepts Chelsea will decide his future

Romelu Lukaku accepts Chelsea will decide his future

The on-loan Everton hitman is relaxed about his prospects beyond the end of the current Premier League season, in which he has hit 13 goals in 29 appearances on loan at Goodison Park.

Lukaku will turn 21 next month and is then set to spearhead Belgium's World Cup 2014 challenge, which begins with Group H contests against Algeria, Russia and South Korea.

Good performances in Brazil are sure to increase transfer speculation, but for now the 6ft 3ins frontman is concentrating on Everton's final league fixtures, at home to Manchester City on Saturday evening and at Hull City a week on Sunday.

When asked about his future, Lukaku told Het Nieuwsblad: "We'll see at the end of the season. I'm focusing
on my performances at Everton.
"I still have a contract until 2016 at Chelsea and I think they're happy about the way I'm developing.

"They have the last word, so we shall see what's happening next."

Lukaku currently lies joint 10th in the Premier League scoring chart, level with Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Newcastle's Loic Remy. Last season, when he hit 17 goals on loan at West Brom, he was sixth in the race for the Golden Boot and was nominated for the PFA's Young Player of the Year award.

He has six assists to his name with the Toffees in the current campaign, compared with only four with Albion in 2012/13, but missed out on a nomination this time around.

"I'm disappointed that I was not among the nominees for the PFA awards," he added. "But that's football.

"Next year I want to be on the shortlist again, and then I aim to be Player of the Year. I want to go for the double."
Lukaku has developed under Roberto Martinez, playing more as a target-man, but also demonstrating his skill on the ball when given opportunities to do so.

Martinez says the striker is "as complete a number nine as you are going to get in world football", and the player himself is determined to keep improving his all-round game.

"Next season I hope to make more of my qualities," he added. "I try to adapt to my position. If I want to be a complete striker, I have to get through this.

"It's a new step. If a manager asks me to play as a target-man in the future, I'm able to do it. In that way, I can become very unpredictable."

0 Comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...