Galaxy

26 Feb 2014

United suffer Greek tragedy

United suffer Greek tragedy

Manchester United manager David Moyes admitted he was 'surprised' by his side's desperately disappointing performance as they lost 2-0 against Olympiakos in the Champions League on Tuesday.

United face a huge task to overturn their first leg deficit in the return leg at Old Trafford, with their under-pressure manager accepting full responsibility for a result and performance that sparked fresh speculation over Moyes' long-term future at the club.

"That's the worst we have played in Europe," said an honest Moyes. "It was a really poor performance. We never really got going from the start and we didn't deserve anything because of the way we played.

"We never really got to grips with things and to a man you could hardly pick anybody out. We just didn't perform.

"We came into the game in good form and a good mindset but it just didn't show. I am just surprised. I didn't see that level of performance coming. I just didn't see it.


"I take responsibility. It is my time and I will always front it up. We didn't play well. We have to play better.
"The players are hurting as well. They know how they performed, but there is a team here, that won't change, and we'll stick together."


Moyes did his best to paint a silver lining in United's latest disappointment, as he insisted his side could still turn the last-16 tie around in the second leg at Old Trafford.

"The one good thing is that there is still a second game to come," he added. "We will do everything we can possibly do to reverse the 2-0 defeat."

Meanwhile, Moyes' mood will not have been improved by reported comments from striker Robin van Persie on Dutch TV, as he appeared to question the tactics being employed by the United manager.

"My teammates are in some of the areas where I want to play. This makes it difficult for me," he was quoted as saying by ITV Sport.

"Then I have to change my tactics to suit my teammates, and play outside my zone. That's a pity. I won't point fingers, because I'm not like that."

Van Persie's words did little to ease the pressure mounting on Moyes, on a night when nothing went right for the beleaguered Scottish tactician or his United team.

0 Comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...